This DVD was used for a Tai Chi for Balance study, which documented a 10% improvement in balance after 8 weeks of practice. It is 40 minutes long and demonstrates the seven T'ai Chi movements in the sequence. These movements were chosen as ones that could reasonably be performed by someone with mild imbalance.
The Tai Chi movements that we used were selected from several different schools of T'ai Chi and included the following:
- Hold the Ball (basic T'ai Chi -- sometimes called "preparation"),
- Turning the Wheel (Yang style)
- Brush Knee and Twist Step (Yang style),
- Step Back to Repulse Monkey (Yang style),
- Walking the Circle (Pa-Kua style),
- Kick heel to left and right (Wu style),
- Partition of the Wild Horse's Mane (Wu style),
- Hold the Ball.
A paper on this study was published in the Archives of Otolaryngology HNS in 1999.